Search

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Guilty Pleasure

After two months, the culture shock is finally starting to wear off. I've been traveling internationally since I was two, and I have to admit, that I naively thought that I was immune to things like culture shock. I was wrong. The Indian world is starting to make a strange sort of sense, and things have become, dare I say, easier. Though, I'm sure I've just jinxed myself.

I'm going to use this time of ease to talk about something that many you expressed interest in, FOOD! There is a variety of fresh cut fruit being offered on every street, sweet shops galore, and hot dishes made to order. Indian food is the best fast food I've ever had, though I do miss vegetables a great deal,  but I think I'll survive.  Indian food is simple, filling, and delicious.  These are some of my favorites:


Gulab Jamun
 I first discovered this sweet round morsel of heaven on the streets of Barcelona, Spain. My girlfriend and I were exploring the neighborhood near where we were staying, and happened to meander down an alley where there was little Pakistani sweet shop. No other sweet shop we encountered in Spain sold this sweet. Days later, we couldn't remember where the shop was, or the name of the new favorite treat we had so happily devoured. The simple treasure was lost! Years later, I am happy to find Gulab Jamun being sold on nearly every corner in India. It is originally from the Arab desert, and similar in taste to a round honey soaked doughnut. Sweet caloric reunion!


Dosa
This savory crepe like food is a staple of South India.  It was recommended to me by other travelers before I even arrived in the country. The best dosa I have consumed thus far, was from a street vendor in Nagappattnam. It was terribly thin, golden, and almost crispy, and was served loosely wrapped in a cone shape standing upright on a banana leaf with sambar (a watery lentil soup) and chutney. It tasted just as good as it looked! I assumed that it had to be an unhealthy dish, because it was so delicious, but to my delight, it is quite nutritious. There are many variations of dosa, but it is traditionally made of ground rice and dahl (lentils). It is so popular that is served all over the country.


Poori and Potato Curry
When I asked TG what his favorite Indian dish was so far, he said "The breakfast potato curry with the puff bread." That "puff bread" is called Poori or Puri. It can be found all over South Asia. It is an airy unleavened fried wheat bread. The potato curry served with it is a refreshing change to most of the curries we have consumed so far. Its consistency is creamier, and the spices used are more subtle. It's a great comfort food. I had it for the first time the other day. It was wrapped up in newspaper, banana leaf, and twine. It was a our breakfast to go, as we bussed back up the coast from Nagappatnam heading north again towards Pondicherry.

With all the great food available, it is a wonder that so many go hungry. A simple street dish is 15-30 rupees, but the majority of the population can not afford the daily indulgence, and malnutrition is a common problem. To carry extra weight here is a sign of comfort and wealth. Many of the depictions of the deities are round in the face and belly. When we are approached by children or beggars, they make the common gesture of their hand to their mouth, as if they were eating. We try to avoid donating money, but if we ever have bread or fruit on us, we happily give it away. The children shriek with delight when they are handed an orange or a banana. They are so excited over a single piece of fruit, that we always wish we had more to give. In India, it is difficult to prevent even the simplest pleasure from being a guilty one.






No comments:

Post a Comment