Search

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Beach Attack

Tomorrow is my birthday. Last night, I was attacked. TG was in Chennai, having business meetings. I had spent the day cleaning our lovely little home, and doing laundry on our roof. I went to have a massage, and it was so wonderful, that immediately after I thought I would take a stroll down the beach.

In front of the Radisson hotel and their open-air restaurant, just a little after 7pm, a stranger lunged for me. He was not trying to steal from me. He was after me because I was a woman. I fought him off, and he ran back down the beach towards town. I took off after him, screaming, and some young local boys heard me, and went to find him. I went home to cry. Today we filed a police report, and the boys said that they beat him up some.

India's attitude towards women is not one of freedom. One of the first newspaper articles I read after arriving in Delhi, was a list of bodies that had been found in the city. All of the bodies were female. They had all been murdered by different people for different reasons. The India Times ran an article just this week about a young girl who was raped by two men .  Women all over the world deal with these sort of injustices everyday. We are targeted only for being the opposite sex. That is wrong, no matter what country you come from.

My attack could have been much worse, but I was raised to defend myself. I screamed and punched, and ran, fueled with the knowledge that no person has the right to violate me, ever. I hope that more women know that this right is theirs. Every women deserves to feel worthy. Any person who tries to take that away should be held accountable. Happy Birthday to me.

2 comments:

  1. today is 2/2, happy birthday to you! May this day be free from assault.
    Dax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sherry! I'm shaking as I'm typing this to u...the girls and I pray 4 u every night! Stay safe and hope u found some pepper spray already so u can spray the crap out of those bastards eyes that tries to lay a hand on u!!!!

    ReplyDelete