Search

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Third World Baby and the Red American

TG has finally arrived in New Delhi, India. I stay up through the morning to chat with him on social networks. He is lost in the whirl of noise and sound, and I think he is having a problem wrapping his western head around the new color and chaos.  He has also arrived during Muharram.



Muharram/Islamic New Year in India


"Muharram (or Muharrum) is a gazetted holiday in India, marking the start of the Islamic year. It is the first day of the first month in the Islamic calendar. "
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/india/muharram


Muharram fell on November 26th this year, and the holiday goes on until December 25th. Many shops are closed, or have alternative business hours, and TG is lost, not understanding the workings of this place. "Things have not been... easy," he tells me, and I can't help but laugh a little to myself. What did he expect?


I was born in the Philippines. We lived there for 3 years prior to coming to the states. Since then, I have lived in California, Hawaii, Idaho, Colorado, Mexico City, and Spain, and during that time I have traveled to many other states and countries. I know the pacing of the non-western world. It was the rhythm in which I was rocked to sleep. Mexico City, the third most populated city in the world, is one of my favorite places. The crazy just makes more sense to me. 


I send him links to everything from hostels to rental agencies. I am not usually so organized or well informed, but something about travel does this to me. 


He has already wandered on to the women's compartment on the train, and was yelled at by a lady who had her head covered, and taken advantage of by a taxi or two.  He sticks out like a sore thumb. He is over six foot, with skin the shade of glue, and ginger hair, and he is often wandering through less touristy areas. The locals stare at him.


I can't help finding all this very funny. I know he will find his footing. Until then, he will just have to become more accustomed to tripping.


Countdown: 5 days until I meet him there! 

TO READ MORE ABOUT MUHARRAM : The ISLAMIC NEW YEAR
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/muslim/muharram-new-year

1 comment: